Thursday, September 1, 2011

What I did on my summer vacation

Blackberry pie
I have been crazy, lately, about making pies.  I’ve even tried my hand at tarts.  There is something soothing and satisfying about rolling out crust, chopping fruit, forming decorative edges.  I get to express my creativity in a way other than writing and give my brain a rest.  Instead of thinking about words, plots, characters or settings, my pie-baking concentration shifts my thoughts to the present moment and lets me lose myself in a physical task that can be completed much faster than, say, a novel.  Not to mention that far fewer people reject my pies than reject my writing.  This summer, I attempted a pie a week – mostly berry.  I tried my hand at rhubarb, blackberry, blueberry, and, of course, tart Door County cherry.  What still eludes me?  A super great wonderful apple pie recipe.  I’m talking traditional, here, but still decadent.  Do you have one such recipe?  Pretty please with sugar on top?

No comments:

Post a Comment