Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Spirit World

Casper
Do you believe in ghosts? Spirits? Things that go bump in the night? How about things that walk around your house in the broad daylight?

Yesterday (ahem, officially “The Day of the Dead,” according to my calendar), while I was sitting at my desk, deeply concentrating on my work, I heard footsteps. Oh, it’s just my husband walking to the kitchen, I thought, and then remembered that I was alone in the house. I looked up – in fact, had a perfect view of the kitchen and dining room – and saw nothing. The footsteps “walked” through the dining room and into the kitchen, then stopped.

I was a little freaked out. Okay, more than a little.

“Things” like this have happened to me occasionally my whole life, so, I must say that, yes, I do believe in ghosts/spirits/vibrations from another plane of existence. 

When I told my husband about it, he confessed that he, too, had heard footsteps in our house, once, when I wasn’t home. He investigated and found nothing.

Our house is over 130 years old. Word has it that one man both was born and died here.

“It’s a friendly spirit,” my husband said. “Don’t you think?”

I could only hope. And then it dawned on me that, yes, it must be a friendly spirit – a helpful one even. Why? Because as I was sitting at my desk, deep in thought, the topic I was thinking about was my next blog. This blog. What could I write about? Nothing seemed quite right. The footsteps interrupted my musings, shook me from a bunch of dead end topics (no pun intended) and pointed me, well, straight to this one. 

And, here I am, typing out a rather lengthy entry, all courtesy of the friendly footsteps and their inspiration.

What about you? Do you believe in “ghosts?”  Have you ever been visited by a spirit presence? What was your experience like?

4 comments:

  1. I believe! Once back in college I saw two children standing on the side of the road one night leaving Cardinal Stritch. It was later than kids should have been out so I noticed them. A boy and a girl. Something made me look back after I drove past them and I caught my breath because I could see through them. And they weren't standing on the road exactly but rather near the edge of the sidewalk/road and sort of hovering there. I drove a bit further down the street and stopped to look back. I could see them still. The boy slightly taller than the girl and wearing what looked like old fashioned clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ghost in my house, too. Our house is a small cottage that was once an avocado storage shed, back in the 1930s. We believe our ghost may have been an avocado picker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've heard about a lot of people's encounters with the spirit world through this blog. Such interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete