Monday, April 27, 2015

Gender Benders

What is gender, anyway? In the past few days alone, I stumbled upon some public and private evidence of people pondering this phenomenon. Of course there was the Bruce Jenner interview where he explained to Diane Sawyer that he "is a woman." I also noticed a book featured in the New York Times Book Review, "The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell," by William Klaber, which chronicles the real story of Miss Lobdell's mid-19th-century accounts of dressing like a man (much like Fanny Fern did in the same era). On a more private front, a dear friend of mine gleefully told me about a gender-bender camping trip he went on where males and females switched clothing for the weekend and then discussed why and how this affected them. Lastly, I heard from a childhood friend who was horrified that her son's elementary school was strongly attached to hosting father/daughter "princess" dances and mother/daughter bowling outings -- despite outcries of sexism and heterosexism. (My friend suggested that the dance be a princess/prince dance, but her suggestion was shut down due to "tradition.")

Seems like it's getting to be time to deeply discuss this socially-constructed category meant to define us . . . and limit us. Are times a'changing, my friends? Is it just me, or are there more instances calling for gender bending tolerance and revision both in the larger arena of the public media, and in the smaller arenas of our personal discussions?


3 comments:

  1. I believe that my generation seems to be much more tolerant of change and accepting, of course this could also just be my thoughts. It seems like marijuana legalization and the fight for LGBT rights are being fought for mostly by younger people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep fighting the good fight, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd loooove to have you transform
    OUR writing into YOUR creation
    to be Upstairs where we could live
    for oemnillionsOyears AAAND!!!
    999,999,999+ oemnillionsObooks
    (<- 000 less than I N F I N I T Y)!!!
    God nvr runs outta paper/pens, dear.
    Follow us to the Son, miss gorgeous:
    ° AbstractVocabulary.blogspot.com °

    ...wanna know an awwwsome
    Way to give back to God all
    sHe's bestowed upon U.S. ??
    ☆ trmonline.org ☆
    ...the rewards are
    outta-this-world.
    God! Bless! You!

    ReplyDelete